Monday 24 February 2020

The Lossen, Short Film, Review And Interview


In wanting to write something about The Lossen I feel like if I go more than what is in the synopsis I will be giving too much away about this insightful short film. I will just leave it that this is a film that can be enjoyed by everyone as I think every adult can find some level of being able to relate to the story.

The Lossen was screened at the 2019 FilmQuest film festival (website). It was nominated for Best Fantasy Short and Best Actor (Sean Knopp).

Synopsis

In the dead of night another-worldly visitor drags its hulking, hooded mass to the front door of 70-year-old successful businesswoman, Sylvia Cappleman, but this mythical Grim Reaper is not all it seems and so appears The Lossen, the Reaper's agent of death. In the final moments of her life The Lossen discovers a complication with Sylvia's passing, she cannot be taken by death because she has not fulfilled her dream. In order to rectify the problem, The Lossen takes Sylvia on a journey to confront her lost dream and the secrets of her past.

The director, Colin Skevington, provided some additional information about the film and their personal journey into film making.

The Lossen won the Grand Prize for Best Fantasy Short at the 2018 Rhode Island International Film Festival, a Gold Remi Award at WorldFest 2019 in Houston and Best Art Direction at the Vienna Independent Film Festival 2019.
 

What was the inspiration for The Lossen

The inspiration for The Lossen came whilst I was researching a documentary about the differences in attitudes towards death in the East and West. Sadly, in the West death is still a taboo subject and most people want to avoid any thought of the inevitable. The opening scene of the The Lossen came to me as a daydream. I could see the imposing figure of the Grim Reaper, scythe in hand, walking down the path of an impressive, old country house. It raps on the door awakening Sylvia, a woman in her 70s and in the final moments of her life, but this Reaper is not what we expect. This dramatic opening scene gave me the perfect opportunity to write a script that would begin a journey to turn our view of death on its head and show us a possibility of what could be, but in an entertaining and gripping way. It reflects one of the key themes of the film; that death is not what we think it is.

What project(s) do you have coming up you're excited about?

The plan is to produce more Lossen films. I am working on the script for the next one. It follows on straight after this one. There's a little insight at the end of The Lossen. I also have a screenplay which is an epic tale with a supernatural undertone, of course. We will be working towards getting that into production and hopefully The Lossen and the follow ups will lead the way.

What was your early inspiration for pursuing a career in film?

I've always been fascinated by how things work. As a child I was always breaking open toys to see what was inside them and made them work. The first film I saw at the cinema was Snow White. I just wanted to know how it got on to the screen and films have fascinated me ever since. As I got older, I realised that film making is all about storytelling and how it's one of the most powerful ways for us to reflect on our own lives.
 

What would be your dream project?

To direct a movie of the screenplay I have written. A supernatural tale set in different times and will lead the audience to question where they come from and why they are here.

What are some of your favorite pastimes when not working on a movie?

For me the greatest thing is tending the garden. It's a place to shut off and escape. I could say I'm a snowboarder and light aircraft pilot but that would be a lie.

What is one of your favorite movies and why?

Pan's Labyrinth. It's the most stunning and engaging film to watch. Magic realism is one of my favourite genres and for me the idea of the natural world and supernatural world co-habiting and influencing each other is inspiring.

You can find more about The Lossen on the on the following sites.

IMDb (link)



Facebook: @thelossen

Twitter: @TheLossen

Instagram: @thelossen

I'm working at keeping my material free of subscription charges by supplementing costs by being an Amazon Associate and having advertising appear. I earn a fee when people make purchases of qualified products from Amazon when they enter the site from a link on Guild Master Gaming and when people click on an ad. If you do either, thank you.

If you have a comment, suggestion, or critique please leave a comment here or send an email to guildmastergaming@gmail.com.

I have articles being published by others and you can find most of them on Guild Master Gaming on Facebookand Twitter(@GuildMstrGmng).

 


No comments:

Post a Comment